What is it?
The VIP course will train inspectors in the proper handling, filling, and inspection techniques; including the identification of conditions that reject or condemn cylinders. In addition, the course will also cover valve repairs, cleaning, maintenance, and the operation of high pressure compressor systems. The course goes above and beyond just inspecting cylinders. The participant will also review U.S. laws and regulations, take apart and rebuild high pressure valves, understand the basics of high pressure compressor systems, learn about cleaning cylinders and valves, and review safe handling and filling techniques.
The course is compliant with OSHA and NFPA standards and meets the three year HAZMAT requalification for prior cylinder inspectors. This course is developed by an ISO certified agency and backed by a worldwide insurance carrier.
What will we do?
The Visual Inspections Procedures course takes an in-depth look at the following and more:
- Legal requirements, standards of the community
- Safe handling of cylinders
- Fill station operator rules and recommendations
- Identification of the various cylinder markings
- Legal/illegal filling requirements
- Filling procedures
- Tools and their uses
- Visual inspection indications
- Proper identification of the various defect conditions
- Criteria for rejection and condemnation of a cylinder
- Define the criteria for cylinder rejection
- Define the criteria for condemning a cylinder
- Other services
- Valve inspection and cleaning
- Compressor operations
- oxygen cleaning
- The basis for cylinder cleaning
- Visual inspection procedures
- Step by step walk-through of the inspection process
How long will it take?
- About 8 hours
- Inspect a cylinder during the program
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Visual Inspection written examination with a score of at least 80%
- Demonstrate the ability to identify those conditions in a cylinder that would reject or condemn
Who is it for?
- Individuals who wish to know more about the visual inspection procedures used in the compressed gas industry, not just scuba
- Those who need to know how to properly handle high pressure cylinders
- Those working with high pressure cylinders as part of their employment
- Minimum age 18
Equipment Needed: Included
- Visual Inspection Kit