What is it?
This course introduces divers to limited decompression diving within accepted recreational depth limits (130ft). The course should be complete Technical diving equipment if you wish to continue on through the Tec 45 and Tec 50. However, it is easy to accommodate divers interested in very limited technical diving since the Tec 40 equipment requirements are only a bit beyond the standard recreational rig.
What will we do?
- Use decompression software and dive computers to plan and make decompression dives with not more than 10 minutes of total decompression and not deeper than 130ft.
- Use a single cylinder of decompression gas up to 50 percent oxygen to add conservatism to the required decompression
- Learn how to calculate your Surface Air Consumption and apply that to Gas supply requirements.
- Learn the techniques and procedures that apply to Technical Diving
- Learn proper emergency procedures.
How long will it take?
- 8 Hours (minimum) classroom and practical
- 1 Confined or limited Openwater dive (8-30ft)
- 3 Openwater Dives (30-130ft)
- Be a PADI Advanced Open water diver (or equivalent)
- Be a PADI Deep Specialty diver (or equivalent)
- Be a PADI Enriched Air diver (or equivalent)
- Have a minimum of 50 logged dives, of which at least
- 10 dives must be on enriched air
- 12 dives must be deeper than 18 meters/60 feet
- 6 dives must be deeper than 30 meters/100 feet
- Obtain a dive medical signed by a physician
- Double cylinders of at least 70cf each, with isolator manifold (not required for sidemount).
- Primary & secondary regulators for back mounted doubles, one with seven foot hose, and one
- Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG). Sidemount: One seven foot hose and two SPGs.
- Stage/decompression cylinders each with regulator, SPG, mounting hardware and proper labeling/markings. One per diver will be required.
- BCD and harness – redundant buoyancy control is required (double bladder BCD or dry suit if suitable for weight of equipment worn)
- Depth gauge/computer and backup depth gauge/computer
- Timing device and backup timing device (can be included in above)
- Exposure suit appropriate for environment and dive duration.
- Weight system (if needed)
- Jon Line
- Inflatable signal tube
- Surface Signaling device (whistle, mirror etc.)
- Reel/Spool (100ft min)
- Lift bag 100 lb lift preferred
- Knife/cutting device and backup
- Backup mask
- Primary Dive Light
- Back up Dive Light
- Oxygen Analyzer (instructor may supply)
Students are responsible for:
- Books and certification fees
- All tanks and fills needed for training, to include the instructor’s
- Any cost associated with the dives, to include any cost for the instructor